Saturday, February 12, 2011

Everything we are not

“When you read secular or sacred history, you soon discover that people become like their leaders. The same people who applauded Solomon when he built the temple also applauded Jeroboam when he set up the golden calves and instituted a new religion.” Warren Wiersbe

I have been reading through the book of Ezekiel- a heart breaking, heavy, beautiful, book of the Old Testament. I’ll admit- I had my doubts about what Ezekiel would teach me when I started making my way through it a few weeks ago. Today- I arrived at chapter 19- and amidst chapters of judgment and doom I have found myself surprisingly overwhelmed in unexpected places by the immensity of the gospel message in this “hidden treasure” of a story we so easily pass by.

In chapter 19, you find Ezekiel once again painting a picture for the leaders of Jerusalem by using imagery to make a point. Much like the way Jesus used parables in the gospels, Ezekiel began comparing the nation to two things: a lioness and a wine.The people’s rebellion- their hands clinging to idolatry and rebellion, their faces turned away from the Lord, had turned to other people, other nations to save them. Chapter after chapter of Ezekiel paints this heartbreaking picture of the people’s rebellion against the covenant they had made in Deuteronomy with the Lord.

In their rebellion Israel was like “a fruitful vine which had produced many kings who rebelled against God and was now being punished by being transplanted to Babylon….from ‘many waters’ to a ‘desert’.”

Had the nation of Israel obeyed the Lord, it would have become and remained a mighty lion and a fruitful vine that would have brought glory to the name of the Lord. And while they refused to keep their end of the covenant, the Lord kept his---which meant He loved them enough to chasten and discipline them and allow them to be scattered.I was reading this chapter thinking about how much Israel had failed the Lord. And to be honest, it was getting a little frustrating reading chapter after chapter of their rebellion (maybe it just sounded so much like me?) And then I got to the end of chapter 19----and the gospel completely blew me away.

The people- a failure of a lion.

Jesus Christ- the Lion of the Tribe of Judah

“ And one of the elders said to me, "Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals." (Revelation 5:5)

The people- a worthless vine.

Jesus Christ- the true vine

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser." (John 15)

The people- a failure at being a witness to the Gentiles.

Jesus Christ- a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles (Luke 2:32)

Everything the people were not and could not be- Jesus Christ was perfectly.

To me Ezekiel 19 was another reminder of the utter depravity of man and the greatness of the gospel.Romans 5:20 says that where sin abounds, grace abounds MUCH MORE.As I read the pages of this book, I am blown away by how big our God is, how great His grace is, how loving He is, how holy and awesome and just He is- how PERFECT and SOVEREIGN and GOOD this majestic Lord who sits on the throne of Heaven is. And when people come into contact with His glory and goodness the response to this is always the same- worship.

Yes. Yes. Yes. May Ezekiel 19 lead us to worship this King of Kings. The Lion of the Tribe of Judah has conquered. To Him be glory forever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment