Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cries from Mount Mizar

My soul is cast down within me; therefore I REMEMBER YOU FROM THE LAND OF JORDAN AND OF HERMON, FROM MOUNT MIZAR.

In Psalm 42:6, David paints a picture of three different types of scenarios one might find themselves in.

1. The land of Jordan- a place of great floods (the swelling of Jordan)- a terrifying place

2. Hermon- the land of the Hermonites- a place of lions and leopards

3. Mount Mizar- Mizar which means “littleness”. Or little hill

With these three different picture painted, reread the verse.

“I will remember you Lord during the great floods in life where I am completely taken and overcome by circumstances and events.

“I will remember you Lord when I feel I am in a place of lions and leopards- when I am being attacked by the enemy, by sin, my own emotions, when I feel I am trapped by my own bondage.”

“I will remember you Lord- from the little hill.

“So just where we are, from the place of our little trial, little pain, little difficulty, little temptation (if temptation can ever be little) let us remember our God.”- Amy Carmichael

A lot of times I’m just a cry from Mount Mizar. In light of other events and situations, my circumstance may not be a cry from the floods of Jordan, it may not even be feeling like I’m trapped in Hermon, but rather stuck on this “little hill” of Mizar.

And the promise?

“By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me.”

Relief is coming. Victory. Peace. Refreshment. The Lord made a promise. A promise to command his steadfast love toward us. Even on our little hill.

"But God is the God of the waves and the billows, and they are still His when they come over us; and again and again we have proved that the overwhelming thing does not overwhelm. Once more by His interposition deliverance came. We were cast down, but not destroyed." Amy Carmichael

Psalm 42:7- Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.

"Bare heights of loneliness...a wilderness whose burning winds sweep over glowing sands, what are they to HIM? Even there He can refresh us, even there He can renew us." Amy Carmichael

Sometimes I feel pathetic if I would share my struggles or what I’m feeling. It seems so insignificant or ridiculous. I found so much hope in this Psalm this week as the Lord reminded me-

It doesn’t have to be drowning in the Jordan to come to Him.

It doesn’t have to be stuck or trapped in the land of Hermon.

Come- from the Mount Mizars. Seek and find. Nothing is “too pathetic.” Or “too small” for the Lord to care about. It doesn’t have to be a big crisis. He wants me to come with everything. Every doubt, fear, worry, sin- He’s waiting with open doors to deal with it all with his steadfast love. Even on our little hill.

And another promise to those standing on Mount Mizar longing for the Lord? Those lost and drowning in the floods? Trapped by sin?

Come. Come to the Cross. He promises JOY.

Ecc. 2:26- For to the one who pleases Him, God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy….

No comments:

Post a Comment