So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us. (1 Thessalonians 2:8)
Abba Father,
My heart may echo a million things tonight, but the gospel at work within the deepest places of me screams “thank you” for who You are and all you have done. Thank you for not being the “god” I so often demand you to be. Thank you for not being the god I would have chosen. Thank you that in your infinite love you cannot cease to be Creator God in all your perfect attributes. I thank you that You are love. You are righteousness. You are perfect justice. You are holy. You are GOOD. You are pure. You are Light. You are Truth. You never change. You never fail. Every word you have said will come to pass is 110% guaranteed to happen. I cannot thank you enough that you are a God who is constantly pursuing your glory and our good. I thank you that you are a God who is reconciling all things to Yourself. I thank You that you are a God of order, and that someday very soon you will come and put together once and for all- all that has been devastated by sin. I thank You that you are a God who has come down to broken, messed up, sinful people like me. I thank You that you have not asked us to come climb the tower to get to you- no you have come to us!
Father, I thank you for 22 beautiful years in Eureka. I thank you that in your incredible grace you have allowed me to grow up and be discipled in a home with two parents who passionately love the Lord. I thank you that you have given our family the incredible blessing of all six of us children following after You. I do not take that lightly. Father thank You that you have brought salvation to the Gerbers. You have brought each of us wayward children home. Thank you for parents who prayed their guts out for that to happen. Father, I thank you that my brothers love You more than they love our family. I thank You that they have listened and obeyed the call and have gone even to the “ends of the earth” to proclaim the gospel. I praise You that each of my nieces and nephews are growing up in homes where Jesus is Lord. I thank You for parents who have willingly released their children to the work of You and where You have called each of us. I thank you that when You have said “Go”, their prayers and responses have always been “Go” as well. Father, I plead for protection over my family members against attacks from the enemy. Against complacency and settling, against lies, against self. I pray for the salvation of my beautiful nieces and nephews- that You would raise them up to be godly men and women who love you and serve you passionately with all of their lives. I pray that out of this family You would raise up more missionaries, pastors, godly mentors to others. Father, send them out into this broken and dying world to proclaim the gospel.
Father, I thank you for the incredible community of believers You have blessed me with these past few years. For all of those who have spoken much truth into my life and pointed my eyes back to Jesus.
I thank You for those who have become second family to me. Who have graciously given me an open door policy and have invited me to become part of their community. For the countless hours of prayer around the tables, for being able to worship with them in song, for the long conversations about life and how to follow after You. For all of the encouragement, support, and challenges they have given me. I thank You for all of those within my church family who have sharpened me. For the amazing opportunities You have blessed me with to be a part of Biblical counseling, small groups, Sunday school, and a part of the body of Christ. For all the times I wanted to quit and someone whispered “Gerb, keep going.” Thank you for the deep, rich, countless friendships with those I love so dearly. For every single person You have sovereignly placed in my life, that we would make much of You.
I pray Father for unity among the believers in this community. I pray that the gospel would continue to be boldly proclaimed in every corner of Eureka, that the church would be a place that glorifies and worships Jesus Christ alone. I pray for each of the believers You have allowed me to do life with- Father sanctify them. Purify them. Make them to resonate more and more of Your glory! Send them out! Prepare them to do your will. Make them ready instruments for kingdom work. Strengthen the weary hands. Pursue their hearts. Be glorified in their lives. May they always be able to say to others “Follow me as I follow Jesus.”
Father….
I confess this next is the hardest to pray for. I confess to You my unbelief and doubt and fears of whether or not You can do this. But You can. And it’s not too hard for You. It’s not too far.
Oh God, please save them. You know every name that breaks my heart. You know every person I long to see walking in the light. You know every cycle, every addiction, every chain, all of the pain and brokenness. And I believe that as You did for me- You can reach down into this and save them all. Father, I pray and plead and beg with You that You would bring salvation to the homes and those I have been praying for. I pray that You would raise up others to go and continue speaking truth into their lives. Continue raising up other laborers for this great harvest. In Your great mercy, please open eyes! Cause the blind to see! It’s not too hard for you. No, not too hard at all. I trust You with the results Lord. I pray in Heaven very soon, I would get the joy of worshipping next to many of these people I love so much. I pray that through them- their families, their children, future generations would be impacted by the gospel and that many others would be brought into the family of God.
And lastly,
I thank You that you aren’t done with me yet. That You will get me through this transition, through this change, through every single goodbye. You will get me through Chicago and the next __ years beyond. I thank You for the incredible gospel platform You have blessed me with the past few years. I pray I would have many more of those over my lifetime. I pray that You would continue to sanctify and change me, make me new, and create in me a deeper love and reveling for You. Father I want to know You so badly. I want You to be the greatest pearl in the field that I find. I want to risk it all for your beautiful name. No sacrifice is too great. Help me to understand deeper all You have done for me.
Father, I love you. But oh, how I want to love You and know You more.
Thank You for the work of Jesus Christ. For His perfect blood that covers all of my sin.
May my life constantly scream the gospel and reveal the glory of You and Your name alone.
Thank you for all of those You have given me the opportunity to share the gospel and do life with.
I love them so much. But You love them so much more.
May my life be poured out for Your glory alone.
It’s in your beautiful name I pray,
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment